Looking for something specific?
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting―
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things. ”
Scarlett stirs up a mix of conflicting and complex emotions, which is why it’s so fascinating to discuss her with others. Some people love her, some hate her, some admire her (or all of the above). I would venture to say Mitchell was ahead of her time in creating a character like her — subtly rebelling against “being a lady,” having children but not transforming into a stereotypically motherly figure and refusing to be defined by that role, and even daring to make her unlikable. ”
but have you considered:
- strong females who don’t denounce femininity or being girly
- strong females who are “like every other girl” bc why the hell not girls are rad
- strong females who tear down the culture of girls hating on other girls
- strong females who are proud to be feminists
- strong females who support and acknowledge trans women
- strong females who understand that being strong isn’t synonymous with manly or with “acting like a man”